- Hacker 'The Dark Overload' claims to have stolen Season 5 of the hit series
- The hacker is threatening to release the series to file sharing services unless paid
- Netflix says that a small production company it worked with was breached
- The new episodes were scheduled to debut June 9
- Netflix is counting on the show to increase its subscriber base
The new season of Orange is the New Black is being held hostage by a hacker named The Dark Overlord who has threatened to release the series online unless paid an unspecified amount.
Netflix's popular show about female criminals is the victim of a cyber criminal who claims to be holding the upcoming season hostage.
A hacker claims to have stolen the new season of the hit series 'Orange Is The New Black,' and is demanding that the video streaming service pay an unspecified ransom to prevent all the new episodes from being prematurely released online.
The hacker, operating under the name The Dark Overlord, has already purportedly uploaded the first episode to an illegal file-sharing service. The Associated Press could not legally confirm the authenticity of that uploaded file.